New Year, New Skill
time of year again, where we scramble to list out those all-important resolutions for the New Year. We have the typical suspects of NY resolutions: read more, meditate often, build healthy habits. But
, here at Shapeways, we’re considering
of something else you might want to do in 2016: Get begin
ed with 3D printing.
Here’s a few tips on how to get begin
ed making with 3D in 2016.
1. Give by yourself
an easy project to begin
with. The sky is the limit when it comes to what you can create with 3D printing. But
, when you are
first beginning to learn this skill, it may be best to ponder
of a design which
’s easier to create. A great way to do this is to find a simple silhouette and use our pendant creator to bring it to life, or for something more complex, consider watching some tutorials and get begin
ed with OnShape.
2. Set aside some time each week dedicated to 3D modeling. Even if it’s just an hour a week, setting aside time dedicated to learning each week can take you a long way. Plus, once you get begin
ed, it’s easy to get into it and keep going! Pro-tip: Schedule this time as a repeat event on your google calendar, so you’ve always got a reminder to get you going.
3. Get active on the Shapeways forums. Our forums are the heart of the Shapeways community. If you are
ever looking for a source of inspiration or have inquiries
about getting begin
ed, you will without a doubt find your answers on this section of our website.
4. Open up a shop. We’ve noticed which
it becomes a little bit more difficult to forget about your New Years Resolutions when you incentivize by yourself
with making money. Having a single product in your shop is a great begin
to earning a little extra cash for the weekends… and you may find by yourself
motivated to add more to your collection over time!
6. Keep an eye on our Meetup page and attend local events in your area. Meetups are a great way to meet people who have much like
interests – it’s in addition
an opportunity to connect directly with employees at Shapeways and learn hands on about what’s possible.
5. Be a Boss. Set the vision for your goals and don’t let up. You, and only you are in charge of the result
of 2016. If you set your mind and time to accomplish something, you will achieve it!
Learning something new can be tough, but luckily at Shapeways, we are armed with an incredible
community of makers to get you through the learning curve. If you have ideas, now is the time to bring them to life. And don’t forget about all the incredible
materials we have to offer. Who knows what new things we’ll come up with in 2016!?